Matt grew up in a fear-filled home, and for years he took this fear with him wherever he went. It was this fear that held him back from pursuing a football career and ultimately from dealing with his addiction head-on, and it almost kept him from sticking around the NA meetings that subsequently saved his life.
When he finally decided to choose recovery, he was living alone in his car on a diet of Sunny D and peanut butter sandwiches, kicked out after his girlfriend at the time found out he had kept on using. He had lost everything, but life had given him a chance to fight for it all back.
And fight he did. Now he’s got over 21 years under his belt.
Now Matt loves to surf, has a not-so-secret affinity for Marvel movies, and at his, job he gets to help people every day who are struggling with addiction.
Matt joined us on the podcast to share his incredible story, how he conquered his fears and how every day he fights to break the cycle of addiction and abuse for himself and his daughter.
Here are a few of our favorite quotes from the show but there are so many more nuggets of wisdom to hear for yourself. Listen to the entire episode below.
- I think a lot of my life there was a lot of fear I’ve experienced. I think the fear of leaving home to pursue that football career scared me and I didn’t know how to deal with it, and it was easier to bury myself and continue to use. I look back now, and I find that there was a lot of fear growing up in the household.
- The only times that I remember feeling safe was my maternal grandmother lived in Torrance, and we would visit during the summers. As a young kid, she was very religious. I would get up early in the mornings because she would be up around four or five in the morning reading the bible and I would get up and just sit up with her. I remember always feeling safe.
- It wasn’t easy in the beginning. If anything I want to point that out. There were many times I had thought about using and going back. I wanted to see my daughter again, that was one of the reasons that I got clean and try to stay clean, and that didn’t happen right away.
- My life today is something that I couldn’t imagine. I worked with some great people. I have traveled to places that I never thought that I would never go. I’ve done things and have experienced things that I never thought I would and in ways that I think that is deeper than that I would.
- One of the things I heard, which is so right is forgiveness in their time and not in my time. I just need to continue on my path of living spiritual principles and the rest will work itself out, and that’s all I can worry about, and that’s all I can do.
*Matt’s last name and photo have been kept private for anonymity purposes.
If you love Matt’s story as much as we do, please share it your friends and family or anyone that you think may find it helpful. We are always looking for new stories to share and inspire others. If you would like to share your story with us, let us know by filling out the form below.